Anyone that has undertaken Internet based reconnaissance for a red teaming engagement knows how handy web based network tools are for profiling a target without being easily traceable. Years ago I used DNSstuff.com but as their server loads increased they decided to introduce a fee-based model which drove folks to look for alternatives. I went to IPtools.com for a while, but now that’s gone too. So I packed up my dns lookups and whois queries and went in search of a new place to call home.
I found a LOT of free alternatives out there. The only ones I mention below are those that could be useful during a red team exercise. I’ve included a few in case you have trouble getting to one or more.
- centralops.net (vanilla ping, tr, dns, etc)
- mega-check.com (vanilla)
- www.freednsinfo.com (vanilla)
- network-tools.com (vanilla with HTTP header and email checks)
- fixyourip.com (vanilla with web and mail server cert check, SPF and ASN lookup)
- www.viewdns.info (vanilla with heaps of other cool stuff like port scan, China/Iran firewall test, HTTP header check, ASN lookup, DNSSEC check)
Most do the same stuff (ping, traceroute, DNS lookups, etc), but some stand out as providing particularly useful and interesting functionality.
The top two of this lot are:
- viewdns.info which is my new primary DNS services shop
- fixyourip.com coming second and is a handy backup
The rest offer pretty much the same vanilla services, but I’d use them in a pinch.